Thursday, June 28, 2012

Whales

Whales are very good at catching food. When the blue whale is swimming and it starts to grow hungry, all it has to do is open gallons of water pour in, which strains out the tiny shrimp called krill. The whale does not drink salt water! The whale's gullet will not take anything bigger than a herring.
When whales swim it is like flying underwater! They have been around for some 25 million years! Surprisingly a whale is not a fish! The front flippers are forelegs, that have five fingers! The front flippers are only you used to keep the whale from tumbling over and to help steer.
The whale lives in cold water, but is very comfortable! I has an enormous layer of fat, like 12 inches thick!
It is called blubber. Blubber is like an elastic covering that helps the whales' body to be able to swim with the pressure of the water when it dives deep. A whale can dive 3,200 feet! The pressure of that dive would crush a blubber-less whale!
Whales are very interesting!

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I love your website!!!!!!!
    This really helped with my research.
    What zoos are your favorite?
    Maybe we could meet up at a zoo! (:
    Your website is totally awesome and cool!
    I've already mentioned it to all of my classmates and friends!!! I really hope we could meet up at a zoo and I could meet you!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete